Thursday, November 5, 2009

2nd Freshmen Seminar Lecture

The topic of the second freshmen seminar lecture was Health and Fitness. The four main points that were emphasized were body, mind, spirit, and environment. The purpose of this lecture was to help deal with the mental stress of college and fighting the dreaded freshmen 15 (for most of my drew brothers we are losing weight). The importance of exercising frequently and balancing your fitness were heavily stressed. This is where the FITT factors were introduced: frequency, intensity, time, type. We were also introduced to the fitness components; cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Some activities discussed in staying fit was walking, swimming, and jogging. This lecture held special importance for me because I recently quit the track team. Thus, for the first time in years I do not have a daily exercise routine. I realize that I now should put a more concerned effort in staying in shape. Also, I have always been concerned with looking like a physical specimen. Sadly I have a slim body time that I have come to accept and love as long as I have definition. Thats the problem; How can I maintain a slim built without exercise. To increase my chest size (basically to look more appealing to the ladies) Ive began to do 50 push-ups a night. The major concern I have is keeping the abs looking sexy. I gotta keep that sexy slimness that the ladies love. One of my experiments was doing jumping jacks in the shower. However, the most important concern is that of maintaining mental health.
College is an amazing experiences that exposes people to several new situations and lifestyles. This experience can put stress on a person and reveal issues that were held deep inside. One of the best ways to avoid this is to keep a strong base. Students should keep in contact with their parents to stay mentally stable. Writing a 5 year plan to keep you focus will also benefit your mental health. Grades are important but it is even more imperative that you maintain your sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment